Tips for Pan Roasting Indoors
- Bring the steaks to room temperature and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- On the stovetop, heat an ovenproof frying pan or skillet (cast-iron is great) on high heat until the pan smokes slightly or a drop of water evaporates on contact.
- Brush the steaks with olive oil and rub with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- When the pan is heated, lay the steaks carefully into the skillet to avoid splatters. Your vent or fan should be set on high because this method creates a fair amount of smoke as the steak is seared.
- Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- After the steaks are seared, reduce the heat and continue cooking the steaks to desired doneness.
- Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter, and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.