Tips for Pan Searing Indoors
- Bring the steaks to room temperature and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place a dry cast-iron skillet in a pre-heated broiler on high heat about 6 inches from flame or heating element. Heat pan for about 20 minutes.
- Brush the steaks with olive oil and rub with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- CAUTION: Pan handle will be extremely hot. When the pan is heated, pull the oven rack out to give yourself clear access to the pan and lay the steaks carefully into the skillet to avoid splatters. Your vent or fan should be set on high because this method creates a fair amount of smoke as the steak is seared.
- Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- After the steaks are seared, reduce the heat and continue cooking the steaks to desired doneness.
- Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter, and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.